htop - better process viewer for Linux
htop is a better and easier to use process viewer for Linux than standard top.
On Debian box you can simply write following line to install htop
apt-get install htop
If you would like to compile htop from source code first download source code from http://sourceforge.net/projects/htop/ and follow next step:
tar zxvf htop-1.0.1.tar.gz
For using htop you should simply run following command in your console:
screenshot taken from htop (debian)
Comparison between htop and top
- In 'htop' you can scroll the list vertically and horizontally to see all processes and complete command lines.
- In 'top' you are subject to a delay for each unassigned key you press (especially annoying when multi-key escape sequences are triggered by accident).
- 'htop' starts faster ('top' seems to collect data for a while before displaying anything).
- In 'htop' you don't need to type the process number to kill a process, in 'top' you do.
- In 'htop' you don't need to type the process number or the priority value to renice a process, in 'top' you do.
- 'htop' supports mouse operation, 'top' doesn't
- 'top' is older, hence, more used and tested.
Rating and Popularity